Java Card: Send long response with T=0

up vote
down vote

favorite

I want to send a long response (1000+ bytes) from the card to the host. The reader only has T=0. I have a few questions wondering if anyone knows:

1. My understanding is ExtendedLength only works on T=1, is this true?

2. If so, is there best practice on sending long response on T=0?

3. One potential solution is to send out data by chunks, with status code 61xx. Basically, I would call APDU.sendBytesLong, then throw an exception with 61xx to indicate there's more data. But it seems weird to throw an exception to indicate there's more data, even this seem to conform to the standard

All the best!

Johnny

share|improve this question

up vote
    down vote

favorite

I want to send a long response (1000+ bytes) from the card to the host. The reader only has T=0. I have a few questions wondering if anyone knows:

3. One potential solution is to send out data by chunks, with status code 61xx. Basically, I would call APDU.sendBytesLong, then throw an exception with 61xx to indicate there's more data. But it seems weird to throw an exception to indicate there's more data, even this seem to conform to the standard

All the best!

Johnny

up vote
      down vote

favorite

up vote
      down vote

favorite

All the best!

Johnny

All the best!

Johnny

smartcard javacard apdu

asked Nov 8 at 4:53

Johnny

2 Answers

active

oldest

votes

up vote
          down vote

My understanding is ExtendedLength only works on T=1, is this true?

That is not true. No such limitation is specified in ISO/IEC 7816-4 anyway. However, the card should indicate support for extended length in the ATR / the EF.ATR. Readers may not just assume that extended length is present (but you could ignore this if you're the only one handling the application anyway).

If so, is there best practice on sending long response on T=0?

There are many issues with extended length, not all readers support it, Global Platform doesn't support it (the latest version might, I haven't checked) and Java Card only supports up to 32Ki - 1 bytes. Android only has enabled extended length support by default in the latest versions, but you'd better expect NFC enabled phones not to handle it correctly. ISO/IEC 7816-4 made a mess out of the extended length specification, especially in the later versions (2015 onwards).

Unfortunately you are often constrained to using command chaining or simply by executing multiple READ BINARY commands. The latter is definitely the least error prone - but it is slow and end-of-file handling can be tricky.

One potential solution is to send out data by chunks, with status code 61xx. Basically, I would call APDU.sendBytesLong, then throw an exception with 61xx to indicate there's more data. But it seems weird to throw an exception to indicate there's more data, even this seem to conform to the standard.

This is the command chaining solution, correct.

Yes, it is rather idiotic that you cannot indicate warnings without throwing an exception. Well found. But you can just send data and generate the status word by throwing the exception. Probably best to save the status word and generate the exception at the end of your process method.

share|improve this answer

• Reader support of extended length is quite good according to our experience (we have a non-Javacard in our product portfolio, but use T=1 or T=CL). Getting a digital signature with 4096 bit can't be easily partitioned using Read Binary, so this would become a major obstacle. All ICAO-compliant cards would also encounter severe performance problems for reading of photos and fingerprints otherwise due to the command processing overhead.
            – guidot
            Nov 9 at 13:10

NFC reader support sucks. And I specified the extended length for ICAO - or at least I proposed it to be used instead of command chaining. ICAO is a relatively closed eco-system though. I had a Dell laptop with build in NFC reader, it didn't do extended length either.
            – Maarten Bodewes
            Nov 9 at 13:12

up vote
          down vote

1 - extended length works in T=0 as explained by @Maarten in his answer.

2 - I am not aware of any best practice. But you can try to implement as described in my next answer.

3 - I partially agree with this, you can use response chaining to get all the response data. Good news is, depending on circumstances, you don't need to implement different protocol handling on applet level. My suggestion is just to do the same processing as you did in T=1, which I imagine is that you just call APDU.sendBytesLong. Then let the platform do the rest like magic.

In javacard platforms that I have worked before, doing so will lead to the following behavior:

Suppose you want to send a get Data command to retrieve 1000 bytes of data:

• Send Get Data which will return 256 bytes of data followed by 61xx

• Send Get Response APDU (00 C0 00 00 plus desired Le) as much as needed until the returned status word is 9000 which means that all data are returned.

Take note that the 61xx and processing of Get Response command are handled on platform level and you don't need to do anything in the applet.

You can give it a try and let me know if it works.

Your Answer

StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function () {
            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function () {
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function () {
            StackExchange.snippets.init();
            });
            });
            }, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function() {
            var channelOptions = {
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "1"
            };
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
            createEditor();
            });
            }
            else {
            createEditor();
            }
            });

function createEditor() {
            StackExchange.prepareEditor({
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: true,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            imageUploader: {
            brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
            contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
            allowUrls: true
            },
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            });

}
            });

draft saved

draft discarded

StackExchange.ready(
            function () {
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f53201747%2fjava-card-send-long-response-with-t-0%23new-answer', 'question_page');
            }
            );

Post as a guest

Required, but never shown

2 Answers

active

oldest

votes

2 Answers

active

oldest

votes

active

oldest

votes

active

oldest

votes

up vote
            down vote

That is not true. No such limitation is specified in ISO/IEC 7816-4 anyway. However, the card should indicate support for extended length in the ATR / the EF.ATR. Readers may not just assume that extended length is present (but you could ignore this if you're the only one handling the application anyway).

There are many issues with extended length, not all readers support it, Global Platform doesn't support it (the latest version might, I haven't checked) and Java Card only supports up to 32Ki - 1 bytes. Android only has enabled extended length support by default in the latest versions, but you'd better expect NFC enabled phones not to handle it correctly. ISO/IEC 7816-4 made a mess out of the extended length specification, especially in the later versions (2015 onwards).

Unfortunately you are often constrained to using command chaining or simply by executing multiple READ BINARY commands. The latter is definitely the least error prone - but it is slow and end-of-file handling can be tricky.

One potential solution is to send out data by chunks, with status code 61xx. Basically, I would call APDU.sendBytesLong, then throw an exception with 61xx to indicate there's more data. But it seems weird to throw an exception to indicate there's more data, even this seem to conform to the standard.

Yes, it is rather idiotic that you cannot indicate warnings without throwing an exception. Well found. But you can just send data and generate the status word by throwing the exception. Probably best to save the status word and generate the exception at the end of your process method.

• Reader support of extended length is quite good according to our experience (we have a non-Javacard in our product portfolio, but use T=1 or T=CL). Getting a digital signature with 4096 bit can't be easily partitioned using Read Binary, so this would become a major obstacle. All ICAO-compliant cards would also encounter severe performance problems for reading of photos and fingerprints otherwise due to the command processing overhead.
              – guidot

NFC reader support sucks. And I specified the extended length for ICAO - or at least I proposed it to be used instead of command chaining. ICAO is a relatively closed eco-system though. I had a Dell laptop with build in NFC reader, it didn't do extended length either.
              – Maarten Bodewes

up vote
            down vote

– guidot

– Maarten Bodewes

up vote
            down vote

up vote
            down vote

answered Nov 9 at 12:10

Maarten Bodewes

60.7k974169

60.7k974169

– guidot

– Maarten Bodewes

– guidot

– Maarten Bodewes

Reader support of extended length is quite good according to our experience (we have a non-Javacard in our product portfolio, but use T=1 or T=CL). Getting a digital signature with 4096 bit can't be easily partitioned using Read Binary, so this would become a major obstacle. All ICAO-compliant cards would also encounter severe performance problems for reading of photos and fingerprints otherwise due to the command processing overhead.
            – guidot

Reader support of extended length is quite good according to our experience (we have a non-Javacard in our product portfolio, but use T=1 or T=CL). Getting a digital signature with 4096 bit can't be easily partitioned using Read Binary, so this would become a major obstacle. All ICAO-compliant cards would also encounter severe performance problems for reading of photos and fingerprints otherwise due to the command processing overhead.
            – guidot

– Maarten Bodewes

– Maarten Bodewes

up vote
            down vote

2 - I am not aware of any best practice. But you can try to implement as described in my next answer.

3 - I partially agree with this, you can use response chaining to get all the response data. Good news is, depending on circumstances, you don't need to implement different protocol handling on applet level. My suggestion is just to do the same processing as you did in T=1, which I imagine is that you just call APDU.sendBytesLong. Then let the platform do the rest like magic.

In javacard platforms that I have worked before, doing so will lead to the following behavior:

• Send Get Response APDU (00 C0 00 00 plus desired Le) as much as needed until the returned status word is 9000 which means that all data are returned.

Take note that the 61xx and processing of Get Response command are handled on platform level and you don't need to do anything in the applet.

up vote
              down vote

up vote
                down vote

up vote
                down vote

answered Nov 12 at 6:48

Chooch

draft saved

draft discarded

Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!

• Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid

• Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

• Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.

Some of your past answers have not been well-received, and you're in danger of being blocked from answering.

Please pay close attention to the following guidance:

• Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid

• Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

• Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.

draft saved

draft discarded

StackExchange.ready(
                    function () {
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f53201747%2fjava-card-send-long-response-with-t-0%23new-answer', 'question_page');
                    }
                    );

Post as a guest